Strengthening your core isn’t just about ripped abs. We can’t deny those are a nice bonus, but having a strong core means so much more.
This complex group of muscles in your midsection (including your abdominals, obliques, and back extensors) are among the most important in your body. They are responsible for stabilizing your spinal column, which influences your back alignment, posture, and even your balance. This means that virtually everything you do—whether you’re walking around, lifting objects, or simply sitting (ideally pain-free) at your desk—relies on your core being in good shape.
So how can you strengthen your core? We like to keep it short and simple with these 4 key exercises that engage all the necessary muscle groups.
Core Strengthening Mini-Workout
Level: All Levels
This mini-workout set only takes around 5 minutes, so repeat it as many times as you’d like. We recommend 3-4 rounds, or you could use this as a bonus round after a fit52 workout.
Ready? Take a few minutes for warmup stretches, then let’s get started!
1. V-Up Crunches
- Lie on your back with your arms extended behind your head and your legs long, feet together.
- Keeping your legs straight, lift them up into the air as you simultaneously crunch your upper body off the floor, reaching straight arms for your toes.
- Extend legs and arms back down to start position.
- Repeat for 7 reps.
- Start in Bear Crawl position with your hands under wrists and hips over knees, hovering a few inches off the ground.
- Pick up your right hand and rotate your body, opening up your chest and pivoting your right foot.
- Extend your left leg through to rotate, bringing your glutes close to the floor.
- Use your core to bring your left leg back to Bear Crawl position.
- Repeat for 9 reps. Right and left is one rep!
3. Straight Leg Sit-Ups
- Lie on your back with your legs straight and toes pointed up. Hold your arms straight up in the air.
- Sit up straight and lift your arms up above your head, biceps next to your ears. Keep your legs flat on the floor.
- Slowly lower back down to start position.
- Repeat for 11 reps.
4. Plank Tap-Outs
- Start in plank position, shoulders over wrists, hips square.
- Tap one foot out to the side. Return to center.
- Tap the other foot out to the side. Return to center.
- Repeat for 13 reps. Right and left is one rep!
Commit to a healthier, happier life. Join the Commit to Fit path in the fit52 app.